The criminal justice system relies on victims and witnesses to help bring those guilty of criminal offenses to justice. Victims have rights. The participation of these people is invaluable, though their importance is often overlooked in light of ensuring the rights of the accused are not violated. The personal injury attorneys at the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, law firm of Levin & Zeiger LLP understand that representing crime victims and protecting their rights is just as important as any other type of personal injury.
As a victim of a crime, you have rights too. You deserve to be treated with the upmost respect and dignity as your case moves through the justice system. The specific details of victims' rights laws vary between states, but as a victim of a crime, you usually have a right to:
When you need a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or New Jersey personal injury attorney to represent you, a family member or friend, contact Levin & Zeiger, LLP, who represent every client zealously in order to obtain the best results possible in each case. To arrange a consultation, please give us a call at 215-825-5183 or send us an email via the form above.
- receive information on services and counseling that can help you;
- be present throughout all hearings and trials;
- be kept informed of any decisions made by the police and prosecutors in your case, and to comment on decisions that are being contemplated;
- be told about significant developments in the offender's detention status, such as bail, transfers between facilities, probation/parole, escape and release from detention;
- receive restitution if you have suffered monetary or property loss as a result of the crime, and to have property that has been seized as evidence returned to you as soon as possible; and
- provide a victim impact statement asking a sentencing court to consider how the crime has impacted you when handing down a sentence to a convicted offender.