215.825.5183 | 877.825.8542 (Toll Free)
Call Us at 215-825-5183
Contact Form

Family of murdered Philadelphia cop files wrongful death and civil rights violation lawsuit

November 14th, 2012 by Gabriel Z. Levin
The victim was shot and killed on the way to his bus stop after he was leaving work.

After a 40-year-old Philadelphia police officer was shot and killed in mid-August, the family of the victim decided to file a wrongful death and civil rights violation lawsuit on Tuesday, November 13. The plaintiffs say that the 23-year-old suspect, who was freed from prison 10 days before the officer lost his life, should have remained incarcerated.

In 2008, the 23-year-old was arrested and sentenced to four years of prison time for a gun offense. The victim's family alleged that the parole board never set up electronic monitoring, which was a prerequisite of his release. The grieving loved ones also assert that the suspect should have been put back in prison after he failed a drug test.

The judge who oversaw his case mandated that if narcotics were found in his system after his release, the 23-year-old should be arrested. However, according to sources like The Philadelphia Inquirer, the accused gunman continued to walk the streets even though he was known to be using drugs while on parole.

"[The victim's] murder occurred as the result of a systemic breakdown," said one of the personal injury attorneys representing the plaintiffs in a statement. "[The former police officer] would not have lost his life if the chairman of the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole and his subordinates had done their jobs."

The suspect's parole officer did admit that sometimes men and women who have recently been released from prison aren't monitored for a period of time. However, he did say that the parole board would look into the plaintiffs' claims.

If one of your loved ones has died as a result of someone else's negligence, you may want to consider scheduling a consultation with personal injury lawyers in Philadelphia. These experienced and locally based professionals can assess your claim, try your case in court and help you recover damages you may be entitled to.

Share Button