215.825.5183 | 877.825.8542 (Toll Free)
Call Us at 215-825-5183
Contact Form

Philadelphia police officer files civil rights claims lawsuit citing racial discrimination

December 6th, 2012 by Gabriel Z. Levin
The plaintiff says that other white police officers were treated better than he was.

A Pittsburgh man has filed a civil rights claims lawsuit against the state of Pennsylvania after he says that he was terminated because he reportedly used Ebonics when writing his reports. According to sources like The Associated Press and The Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, the 29-year-old African American man, who graduated from the police academy three years ago, was later stationed at a post where predominantly white men worked.

According to the AP, the plaintiff was forced to sign a letter attesting to the fact that he was terminated because he lacked basic police skills.

"[The] plaintiff was judged by different and more harsh standards than other probationary troopers, because of his race," the lawsuit declares.

The 29-year-old also says that other white men who were in the barracks with him were judged more leniently during their probationary period and received more instruction from their superiors.

"It's a complex problem," the plaintiff's attorney told the AP. "Here you have a guy who did very well at the training academy and wanted to be a state police officer more than anything; he just burned to do it."

The 29-year-old's lawyer says that because his client was fired, it's been hard for him to find another job in the law enforcement field. He currently has a non-police job and is making far less and receiving less benefits than he did at his previous position.

The plaintiff would like to have his job reinstated and is seeking back pay and unspecified monetary damages.

If you've been discriminated against and live in Pennsylvania, consider scheduling a consultation with a civil rights lawyer in Philadelphia. These experienced and locally based professionals can assess your claim, try your case in court and help you recover damages you may be entitled to.

Share Button