215.825.5183 | 877.825.8542 (Toll Free)
Call Us at 215-825-5183
Contact Form

Police brutality in Philadelphia is becoming a growing problem, say critics

January 3rd, 2013 by Gabriel Z. Levin
The victim of police brutality in Philadelphia sued the city and was awarded $285,000.

It seems like police brutality in Philadelphia is becoming a growing problem, yet it's only recently that experts are speaking up. Critics of how law enforcement officials handle incidents have voiced their opinion that in many cases, the use of excessive force is becoming the norm instead of an exception.

On March 8, 2010, a psychologist for Bucks County Correctional Facility was approached by a policeman near 5th and York Streets in North Philadelphia. When asked what he was doing, the victim told the officer that he was researching drug addiction.

The cop then allegedly threw the prison director of mental health services on the ground, put his foot on top of the doctor's face and began stomping on him. As a result of the attack, the victim was left with a partially crushed eye socket that required a titanium plate be surgically implanted to help repair the damage. He sued the city of Philadelphia and was awarded $285,000 in damages.

This is just one of the incidents that experts ranging from lawyers to professors have cited to show that the City of Brotherly Love has a problem with police brutality. They also allege that lawsuits and payouts to victims are just masking the problem, not solving it.

"Even if some of the cases were settled just to avoid the cost of litigation and may not have been fully meritorious, looking at the large number and amounts clearly indicate that there have been many cases in which police have committed troubling acts of misconduct," one University of Pennsylvania law professor said in a statement.

If you have been the victim of excessive force by an officer, consider scheduling a consultation with a police brutality lawyer in Philadelphia. These experienced and locally based professionals can assess your claim, try your case in court and help you recover damages you may be entitled to.

Share Button